BALANCE Week 2

Community/Elective Rotation – Week 2 Journal

Dates of rotation: (Monday) November 6, 2017 – (Friday) November 10, 2017

Location: BALANCE eating disorder treatment center

Activities & Assignments:

• Continued developing nutrition group lesson plan and met with Liz (RD) for lesson plan approval.
  • One of the patients wanted a different type of yogurt for breakfast, I asked the Recovery Coach to replace her yogurt.
  • Continued studying Jess Setnick’s Eating Disorders Boot Camp material
  • RD supervision meeting
  • Joined the entire staff (RD’s, therapists, social workers, and administrative staff) for their weekly rounds. During this time, the patients are discussed, and information is shared between everyone so that everyone is on the same page regarding all their clients.
  • Continued work on nutrition group ppt
  • Started looking for articles for Literature review
  • Finished up the nutrition group ppt
  • Continued literature review work
  • Organized files for social worker
  • Co-lead nutrition group with RD
  • Completed literature review

Comments / Thoughts / Challenges:

• Developing the PowerPoint presentation for the nutrition group was challenging because I wanted to include a lot of the things I learned at the body image workshop, but I knew I had to pick key ideas because I only had 1 hour.
  • Co-leading the nutrition group was challenging especially since the topic of body image is a sensitive issue for all of the clients. During my presentation, I had to make sure I phrased things in a way that did not induce bad feelings or memories for the clients.  I also have never done group counseling before so getting used to the dynamic took a little while.  However, Liz the RD gave me a lot of guidance with regards to counseling styles.  Whenever I was unsure about something, Liz was there to provide her input and ask the patients what they thought.  During this experience, I learned a great deal regarding group counseling and how to be sensitive to the needs of the group.
  • Looking for articles for the literature review was challenging because not a lot of studies have been done regarding maintaining vegetarian and vegan diets during eating disorder recovery. I only found 8 articles and even those articles only touched a little upon this topic.

Learning Objectives Met:

CRDN 2.5 Assign duties to NDTRs and/or support personnel as appropriate.

CRDN 2.6: Refer clients and patients to other professionals and services when needs are beyond individual scope of practice.

CRDN 2.11: Show cultural competence/sensitivity in interactions with clients, colleagues and staff.

CRDN 3.3: Demonstrate effective communications skills for clinical and customer services in a variety of formats and settings.

CRDN 3.4: Design, implement and evaluate presentations to a target audience.

CRDN 3.5: Develop nutrition education materials that are culturally and age appropriate and designed for the educational level of the audience.

CRDN 3.6: Use effective education and counseling skills to facilitate behavior change.

CRDN 3.7: Develop and deliver products, programs or services that promote consumer health, wellness and lifestyle management.

CRDN 3.8: Deliver respectful, science-based answers to client questions concerning emerging trends.

CRDN 4.1: Participate in management of human resources.

Total Clock Hours: 35 hours