Clinical Week 3

Clinical Rotation –  Week 3 Journal

Dates of rotation: Monday (April 16, 2018) – Friday (April 20, 2018)

Location: Martha McKittrick Nutrition

Activities & Assignments:

Monday (8 hours)

• Added other products to the Trader Joe’s blog
    • Thoughts: I wish I could make more blogs just about Trader Joe’s frozen foods.  There’s so many of them that its hard to narrow it down to just 15 items.
  • Continued Eating Out Guide
    • Challenge: It’s been a challenge trying to pick just 2 restaurants for the restaurant examples.  No sure which restaurants are more frequented by Upper East Side residents.

Tuesday (8 hours)

• Continued working on Eating Out Guide
    • Went to a Chinese restaurant at the Upper East Side to check out the menu and try the food.
      • Thoughts: I went to a Chinese restaurant called Shanghai located on 1388 2nd Ave. in the Upper East Side.  From the lunch special, I tried their Chow Ho Fun which is a flat noodle with vegetables and your choice of meat (I chose beef).  The dish itself was very oily and did not contain a lot of vegetables.  I was only able to finish half of it because it was too oily.  From what I observed, the place is popular and busy.  I would go back and try other dishes.
  • Went to Trader Joe’s to take more pictures of products
  • Observed client counseling sessions
    • Thoughts: I have really enjoyed observing counseling sessions.  My preceptor encourages me to participate and provide input which I have really enjoyed.  Watching her counsel difficult patients has been such a great learning experience for me.  I am figuring out my own counseling style and I have been thinking about how I would deal with difficult patients.
  • Put together the finishing touches for the Fresh Direct Blog
    • Thoughts: I am excited for this blog to be published.  It will be published on my preceptor’s main website as well as in her PCOS blog.  I hope that my blog entry will help someone make healthier eating decisions.

Wednesday (8 hours)

• Added remaining pictures for the Trader Joe’s blog
  • Continued working on Eating Out Guide
    • Thoughts:  Still trying to pick specific restaurants.  There are too many options to choose from.

Thursday (9 hours)

• Continued working on Eating Out Guide
  • Observed clients
    • Thoughts:  I was able to observe a patient with Celiac Disease.  This disease state has always been very interesting to me, so it was great to observe someone that is going through it and how my preceptor plans to help the client maintain a healthy diet to help the client manage his/her symptoms.

Friday (9 hours)

• Continued working on Eating Out Guide
    • Thoughts: Collaborating with my preceptor on this project has been great. She has a lot of great ideas and suggestions.  She wants to make this guide into a booklet to give to her patients which I think is such a great idea.

Learning Objectives Met:

CRDN 2.3: Demonstrate active participation, teamwork and contributions in group settings.

CRDN 2.4: Function as a member of interprofessional teams.

CRDN 2.10: Demonstrate professional attributes in all areas of practice.

CRDN 3.1: Perform the Nutrition Care Process and use standardized nutrition language for individuals, groups and populations of differing ages and health status, in a variety of settings.

CRDN 3.3: Demonstrate effective communications skills for clinical and customer services in a variety of formats and settings.

CRDN 3.5: Develop nutrition education materials that are culturally and age appropriate and designed for the educational level of the audience.

Total Clock Hours: 42 hours