Clinical Week 11

Clinical Rotation –  Week 11 Journal

Dates of rotation: Monday – Saturday (June 18, 2018 – June 23, 2018)

Location: Harlem Hospital OB Clinic

Activities & Assignments:

Monday (8:30 am – 5 pm; 7-8:30 pm) 10 hours

• Staff huddle
  • Assessed and counseled OB clinic patients
    • Thoughts: I really am enjoying this process. Every patient is different, it is great that I have to vary my counseling style depending on the patient.
  • Observed counseling of GYN patients
    • Thoughts: We do not see that many GYN patients in the afternoon.  GYN patients are only seen by the RD if they are referred by their doctor.  Most GYN patients have similar problems such as pre-diabetes or weight loss.
  • Charted OB patient notes
    • Thoughts: According to my preceptor, I am getting much faster at charting. It just takes practice.
  • Made copies of nutrition education materials
  • Put together travel during pregnancy handout
    • Thoughts: Many of our patients have been asking for advice regarding nutrition while they travel. I wanted to make this handout to make sure that their needs are met.

Tuesday (8:30 am – 4:30 pm) 8 hours

• Staff huddle
  • Assessed and counseled high-risk and regular OB patients
    • Challenge: I am still getting used to high-risk patients. Since they are going through a complicated pregnancy, I want to make sure that I can help them and provide the best possible nutrition advice. I still refer to my preceptor since I still have a lot to learn.
  • Charting high-risk and OB patient notes

Wednesday (8:30 am – 4:30 pm; 7pm -8pm) 9 hours

• Staff huddle
  • Town hall meeting
    • Thoughts: This townhall meeting was for the entire hospital to discuss the changes and provide updates regarding improvements happening at the hospital.  There was also a discussion regarding the importance of using the interpreter phone line to ensure that we are properly communicating with our patients and that they understand the advice we are giving.
  • Went over travel handout with preceptor to discuss potential changes
  • Research regarding current pregnancy issues
    • Thoughts: My preceptor and I wanted to know more about thyroid level changes during pregnancy.
  • Made travel handout changes instructed by preceptor

Thursday (8:30 am – 4:30 pm; 7pm – 8pm) 9 hours

• Staff huddle
  • OB client follow-ups and new assessments
  • Charting follow-ups and new assessments
  • Started putting together exercise during pregnancy handout
    • Thoughts: This is going to be a more concise version of the exercise handout the RD has been distributing to the patients.

Friday (8:30 am – 4:30 pm) 8 hours

• Staff huddle
  • Assessed and counseled new OB clinic patients
    • Challenge: I counseled my first pregnant patient who has recently undergone bariatric surgery. It was very challenging because the patient was on a bariatric diet, but I had to counsel her regarding pregnancy nutrition and making sure her fetus has enough food. My preceptor was helpful and assisted me during this challenging counseling session.
  • Charted new OB patient notes

Saturday (4-6 pm) 2 hours

• Continued working on exercise during pregnancy handout.
  • Put together dairy consumption during pregnancy handout

Learning Objectives Met:

CRDN 2.1: Practice in compliance with current federal regulations and state statutes and rules, as applicable and in accordance with accreditation standards and the Scope of Nutrition and Dietetics Practice and Code of Ethics for the Profession of Nutrition and Dietetics.

CRDN 2.3: Demonstrate active participation, teamwork and contributions in group settings.

CRDN 2.4: Function as a member of interprofessional teams.

CRDN 2.10: Demonstrate professional attributes in all areas of practice.

CRDN 3.1: Perform the Nutrition Care Process and use standardized nutrition language for individuals, groups and populations of differing ages and health status, in a variety of settings.

CRDN 3.3: Demonstrate effective communications skills for clinical and customer services in a variety of formats and settings.

CRDN 3.5: Develop nutrition education materials that are culturally and age appropriate and designed for the educational level of the audience.

CRDN 3.6: Use effective education and counseling skills to facilitate behavior change.

CRDN 3.8: Deliver respectful, science-based answers to client questions concerning emerging trends.

CRDN 4.1: Participate in management of human resources.

CRDN 4.8: Develop a plan to provide or develop a product, program or service that includes a budget, staffing needs, equipment and supplies.

Total Clock Hours:  46 hours