Clinical Week 4

Clinical Rotation –  Week 4 Journal

Dates of rotation: Monday (April 23, 2018) – Friday (April 27, 2018)

Location: Martha McKittrick Nutrition

Activities & Assignments:

Monday (9 hours)

• Continued working on Martha McKittrick’s Eating Out Guide
    • Thoughts: The list keeps growing! My preceptor thinks that this booklet can be published as an e-book.
  • Observed clients and co-counseled with my preceptor
    • Thoughts: I am really learning a lot from watching my preceptor counsel.  Some of the patients have been difficult and I am learning more and more counseling techniques.

Tuesday (8 hours)

• Continued working on Eating Out Guide
    • Thoughts: One of the patients we counseled had IBS-C which is something that I have not personally encountered before.
  • Researched salmon and mercury content for preceptor
    • Thoughts: A patient of my preceptor wanted to learn more about the mercury content of salmon since she was told by her doctor that she could not consume salmon since it has high mercury.  In doing my research, I found that salmon is very low in mercury.

Wednesday (8 hours)

• Continued working on Eating Out Guide
    • Added sSeakhouses, Bareburger, PioPio
    • Thoughts: I’m learning a lot about how to look at a menu and pinpoint the items that may not be the best choices.

Thursday (8 hours)

• Continued working on Eating Out Guide
    • Challenges: Not all local restaurants provide calorie/nutrition information, so I cannot get exact calories for dishes.
    • Thoughts: I thought all restaurants in NYC needed to display calorie/nutrition info somewhere.

Friday (8 hours)

• Made more edits to the Eating Out Guide
    • Ready for preceptor review
  • Put together a Trader Joe’s shopping list
    • All TJ products and not just frozen stuff. Preceptor will use this for a future blog.
  • ADIME Notes for patients with the following disease states:
    • Celiac, Prediabetes, Diabetes, Obesity, IBS, and PCOS.
    • Preceptor made corrections and added comments.
    • Thoughts: I enjoy writing ADIME notes.  They are not perfect but I like that my preceptor provides me with great constructive criticism and I am learning a lot from her comments.

Learning Objectives Met:

CRDN 2.3: Demonstrate active participation, teamwork and contributions in group settings.

CRDN 2.4: Function as a member of interprofessional teams.

CRDN 2.10: Demonstrate professional attributes in all areas of practice.

CRDN 3.1: Perform the Nutrition Care Process and use standardized nutrition language for individuals, groups and populations of differing ages and health status, in a variety of settings.

CRDN 3.3: Demonstrate effective communications skills for clinical and customer services in a variety of formats and settings.

CRDN 3.5: Develop nutrition education materials that are culturally and age appropriate and designed for the educational level of the audience.

CRDN 3.8: Deliver respectful, science-based answers to client questions concerning emerging trends.

Total Clock Hours: 41 hours